Chickpea Masaman Curry, a vegetarian version of the Thai classic. Made with my favourite masaman paste and lots of vegetables.
Masaman curry is one of the most satisfying Thai dishes and it’s easy to make at home when you have a good curry paste. Our favourite is the (usually) easy to find brand, Maesri.
I know chickpea masaman curry isn’t an authentic masaman curry — missing sweet potato and chicken – but if your favourite part of masaman curry is the curry flavour then you’ll love this version.
- We used to make this recipe with a full tin of paste but to cut back on salt, we now use half a can for the full recipe. Still loads of flavour.
- This recipe is super versatile. Try it with white fish in place of the chickpeas.
For another vegetarian dish that combines curry and coconut milk try Coconut Curry Lentil Soup.
How about another vegetarian treat: easy homemade Pad Thai .
Chickpea Masaman CurryCourse: UncategorizedDifficulty: Easy
Chickpea Masaman Curry, a vegetarian version of the Thai classic. Made with my favourite masaman paste, chickpeas and lots of vegetables.
1/2 onion, diced
2 cloves garlic, minced
1u0022-2u0022 piece of ginger, grated
1/2 tin masaman curry paste
2 red peppers, cut in strips
1 cup vegetable broth
2 cups cooked chickpeas
2 cups frozen peas
1 can coconut milk
2 scallions, green and white parts, sliced
Squeeze of lime juice
2 Tbsp. chopped cilantro
- Warm a large pot over medium heat and add the oil. When it shimmers add the onion, garlic and ginger.
- Stir for a minute then add the sliced peppers.
- Stir often and when the peppers are almost tender add the curry paste.
- Stir until the peppers are well coated with the paste then add the broth and chickpeas.
- Bring to a simmer, stirring to scrape up and bits that may be sticking to the bottom of the pot.
- Add peas and when the broth returns to a simmer add the coconut milk.
- Bring to a simmer (you don’t want it to boil), add scallions, lime juice and cilantro.
- Serve immediately, over rice or rice noodles.