This zucchini galette recipe is an easy free-form tart. It’s a delicious way to enjoy the little zucchini that are so abundant at the local markets this time of year. The pastry comes together quickly (made in the food processor).
Easy food processor pastry
This pastry recipe makes enough for four galettes. Luckily it halves well. And because half a batch only uses half a beaten egg it’s perfect for this zucchini galette recipe. The leftover half of the beaten egg can be brushed on the galette before it goes in the oven.
Flaky Spelt Pastry
- 4 ¾ cups flour (can use half spelt flour)
- ¾ tsp. salt
- 1 ½ tsp. baking powder
- 1 lb butter, cold
- ½ cup cold milk
- ½ cup cold water
- 1 large egg, beaten
- Toss dry ingredients into a food processor and whirl for a second.
- Cut the cold butter into chunks and add to the food processor. Pulse on and off until the butter is pea sized.
- In a small bowl whisk the milk, water and egg. Add to the flour mixture and pulse until the dough is just starting to come together.
- Remove from processor and pat into a disc. Cut in half, wrap and refrigerate for at least an hour.
This versatile pastry recipe goes to show that if you have five minutes to spare you can make your own pastry. And no need to be intimidated by the thought of making pie from scratch.
How to make zucchini more interesting
This zucchini galette is loaded with flavour, thanks to the garlic, onion, herbs and feta. Feel free to experiment with different herbs and spices. The Portuguese piripiri spice blend is delicious in this recipe.
Next time you get together with friends, surprise them with a homemade galette. It makes a delicious light meal or nibble with drinks.
Zucchini Galette with Flaky Spelt PastryDifficulty: Easy
Zucchini galette makes a great lunch or light supper with a salad on the side. The food processor pastry is easy.
2 ½ -3 cups sliced zucchini
1 small onion, thinly sliced (or half an onion)
1 clove garlic, pressed or minced
½ Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup feta
¼ cup parmesan
1 tsp. dried herbs (oregano, fines herbes, herbes de Provence, or Italian blend)
1 egg, beaten
Pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 375 F
- Spread sliced zucchini, sliced onion and garlic on a parchment lined baking sheet. Sprinkle with olive oil and toss. Place in the oven while you prepare the pastry.
- On a lightly floured surface, roll one pastry disc into a circle 1/8” thick.
- Remove zucchini from oven, scrape into a bowl and toss with feta, parmesan, herbs and beaten egg.
- Place rolled pastry in baking sheet, spoon zucchini mixture onto pastry, and spread to within about 3” of the edge (no closer).
- Fold the pastry edges over the zucchini, overlapping the pastry as required.
- Brush pastry edges with leftover beaten egg.
- Bake for 45 minutes or until golden.
- Let cool slightly before slicing.