I wasn’t always obsessed with vegetables…
A few weeks ago I ran into an old friend I hadn’t seen for years and we were reminiscing about our food adventures during our university summers. There was our solo overnight canoe trip where we spent all of our planning time on the menu and left most of the tent-sleeping bag-camp stove- details to her dad. (I remember we made campfire cinnamon buns that you wrapped around a stick and cooked over the fire.)
Another time we decided we’d go a week or two without eating sweets and then pick a day where we’d skip supper and eat nothing but sweets all evening. The plan was to bake a few pans of gooey squares to devour on the way to soccer practice and then get Dairy Queen Blizzards after practice. Running the soccer field for an hour with a stomach full of Hello Dollies squares was not the greatest thing but we stayed true to our plan, Blizzards and all.
Sometime after that adventure I became vegetable obsessed. I often lament how often restaurants treat vegetables as a garnish and put all the focus on the protein. Not me. More often than not I plan the meal around the vegetable(s) that I plan to serve.
This roasted zucchini and corn dish is a vegetable side that I make often through the summer. It goes with everything, from fish to chicken to veggie burgers.
This is a great dish for anyone who doesn’t enjoy the texture of zucchini on it’s own. Combining zucchini with onions and corn adds great textural variety.
- Turn oven to broil for a few minutes at the end if you like your vegetables more caramelized.
- Toss with fresh herbs before serving. (Basil, parsley, chives…)
- Toss with chickpeas to create a vegetarian main dish
Roasted Zucchini & Corn a Deliciously Simple Vegetable Side DishCourse: Vegetables, Side dishDifficulty: Easy
1 large red onion or sweet onion
4 medium zucchini
1-2 Tbsp. olive oil
2 cloves garlic, pressed
½ tsp. paprika or chili powder
¼ cup chopped fresh oregano or 1 tsp. dried
Salt & pepper
2 cups frozen corn kernels
1/4 cup fresh herbs (optional)
- Pre-heat oven to 375 F
- Cut the onion in half lengthwise, peel the skin and slice it thinly into half rounds.
- Slice the zucchini in half lengthwise and slice it into half moons about ¼” thick.
- Toss in a large bowl with the olive oil, garlic, paprika and oregano. Season with salt & pepper.
- Spread on a large parchment-lined baking sheet in a single layer if possible.
- Bake for 30 minutes, tossing from time to time.
- In the meantime, place corn in a pot, cover with water and bring to a boil. Simmer for five minutes then drain.
- Add corn to the zucchini mixture during the last five minutes of cooking.
- Toss with herbs before serving.