Easy corn fritters suit breakfast and supper. Nicely textured with loads of whole corn kernels.
Easy Corn Fritters Suit Breakfast and SupperCourse: Vegan, VegetablesDifficulty: Easy
Easy corn fritters make a great side dish and are good with breakfast too.
1 Tbsp. olive oil
½ cup finely chopped onion
2 cups frozen corn
1 egg, lightly beaten
1 cup buttermilk or sour milk
1 Tbsp. chopped chives or green onion tops
¾ cup flour
½ cup fine cornmeal
1 ½ tsp. baking powder
¼ tsp. baking soda
¼ tsp. smoked paprika
½ tsp. chili powder
½ tsp. salt
Juice of half a lime or lemon
- Warm a frying pan over medium heat, swirl in the oil then add the onion. Cook until soft then add the corn. Sauté until tender.
- Whirr half of the corn mixture in a food processor until almost smooth. (I use an immersion blender for this step.)
- In a medium bowl whisk the egg, buttermilk and chives. Whisk in the blended corn.
- In a large bowl whisk the flour, cornmeal, baking powder and baking soda, salt and spices. Add wet to dry and stir until almost combined. Stir in remaining corn mixture (the half you didn’t whirr) and the lime juice.
- Let batter rest for 5-10 minutes.
- Drop by ¼ cup measure on a medium-hot, well-greased frying pan.
- Flip when the batter is set and the edges lose their wet look.
- Serve warm.