This cake has everything I love about a classic gingerbread. It is beautifully spiced, has a lovely texture and tastes even better after a day or two. Dressing it up with a tart lemon glaze turns it into the perfect spring and summer dessert.
The recipe makes a 9” x 13” cake so is great for a party.
You can serve it with whipped cream or drizzle it with a lemon glaze (recipe below).
Lemon-Glazed Gingerbread Cake Recipe
- ½ cup butter, softened
- 1 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup molasses
- 1 cup boiling water
- 2 ½ cups flour
- 2 tsp. cinnamon
- 2 tsp. ginger
- 1 tsp. baking soda
- ¼ tsp. salt
- Preheat oven to 350 F and grease a 9” x 13” pan or line it with parchment paper.
- In a large bowl beat butter with sugar.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time then molasses.
- Beat in water.
- Sprinkle over the flour, spices, baking soda and salt and beat until smooth.
- Pour into prepared pan and bake until a tester comes out with just a few moist crumbs attached, about 45 minutes to an hour.
- Let cool in pan on a rack for 10 minutes then turn out. Let cool a few more minutes and drizzle with glaze (if using). Brush glaze over entire cake.
- Serve warm or at room temperature
- 1 ½ cups icing sugar
- 4 Tbsp. lemon juice
- To make lemon glaze, whisk the icing sugar with the lemon juice until smooth.