Sweet potato chickpea soup – full of chick peas, sweet potatoes, red pepper and a little turmeric for colour, this soup has a gorgeous golden hue that is very cheery on a late fall day.
Another favourite soup from a Moosewood cookbook is the effortless (and cream-less) Cauliflower Cheese Soup. I bet you’ll love it 🙂
Soak and boil your own chick peas rather than using canned. Cans are lined with plastic that contains BPA, a hormone-disrupting chemical that can leach into your food. Learn how to reduce your BPA exposure here.
Conventionally grown bell peppers can have a high pesticide residue so look for organic when possible. If you can’t find organic be sure to scrub your peppers well with eco-friendly dish detergent to remove at least some of the surface pesticides. Learn more here.
Sweet Potato Chickpea SoupCourse: Soups, Vegetarian
A hearty soup that’s nourishing and beautiful.
2 Tbsp olive oil
2 cups diced onion
Pinch of red pepper flakes
3 cloves garlic, minced
1 stalk of celery, diced
2 cups peeled, diced sweet potatoes
1 tsp salt
2 tsp paprika
¼ tsp smoked paprika (optional)
1 tsp turmeric
1 tsp oregano or basil
Pinch of cinnamon
1 bay leaf
3 cups water
1 cup crushed tomatoes
1 bell pepper, diced
1 ½ cups cooked chick peas
- In a large, heavy pot, warm the oil over medium heat until it shimmers.
- Add the onion, chilies, garlic, celery and sweet potatoes. Saute for 5 minutes.
- Add the salt and saute another 5 minutes, stirring often.
- Add the spices, oregano or basil and water. Stir and simmer for 15 minutes, covered.
- Add crushed tomatoes, bell pepper and chick peas. Cover and simmer until the vegetables are tender.
- Taste and adjust the seasoning.