This simple Instant Pot Mustard Molasses Chicken is easy to prepare, flavourful and satisfying.
Sometimes when I’m travelling for work I attend a lot of food shows. I get to sample some incredible food prepared by very talented chefs but after two or three days of tapas-style eating, as exquisite as it might be, all I crave is comfort food. I crave one-pot meals and satisfying main dishes served with a pile of vegetables.
This simple Instant Pot Mustard Molasses Chicken dish is just the sort of food I like to come home to. It’s easy to prepare, super flavourful and so satisfying.
I cook it in the Instant Pot electric pressure cooker but you can cook it in the oven too. Instructions for both methods are below.
Serve with roasted broccoli. (To roast broccoli, chop two bunches into florets, toss them on a baking sheet and drizzle with 1-2 Tbsp. olive oil and a sprinkling of salt and pepper. Roast at 375 F for about 30 minutes, until tender.)
This recipe makes a delicious pan sauce so be sure to scoop up lots of the sauce then you’re serving the chicken.
Instant Pot Mustard Molasses Chicken Recipe
- ½ onion, chopped
- 6 boneless, skinless chicken thighs
- 2 Tbsp. Dijon mustard
- 2Tbsp cider vinegar
- 1/3 cup molasses
- ¼ cup tomato sauce or 2 Tbsp. tomato paste
- 1 tsp. dried thyme or oregano
- 1 bay leaf
- 1 Tbsp. Worcestershire sauce
- ¼ cup water, broth or leftover coffee
- 2 cloves garlic, pressed
- Sprinkle onions in your Instant Pot, lay the bay leaf and chicken on top.
- Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
- Secure lid of pot, turn steam valve to close and set your pot to cook for 10 minutes.
- When the 10 minutes of cooking time is complete, carefully open steam valve and when steam has completely released remove lid and serve.
Sprinkle onions in a shallow baking dish with a tight fitting lid and top with chicken.
Whisk together remaining ingredients and pour over chicken.
Cover and bake at 350 F for 45 min or until chicken is cooked through.
Remove the lid for the final 15 minutes of cooking.