Mediterranean lentil wraps in crispy phyllo dough makes a delicious and substantial vegetarian meal.
Vegetarian main dish meals can be easy
Finding vegetarian main dish meals that are tasty and impressive is so easy. Just toss lentils and grains together with other tasty ingredients and you’re good to go. We like to serve this to dinner guests over roasted tomatoes and zucchini.
You can make the filling a day ahead for a speedier prep. And the filling will last in the fridge for a few days if you have leftovers that you’d like to use for pizza or lettuce wraps.
Lots of ingredients, but not difficult
Don’t let the list of ingredients deter you. This is an easy recipe to put together and can be adapted depending on the ingredients you have on hand.
Basically, just combine lentils, rice and sauteed mushrooms with other tasty ingredients and wrap it up.
|This cheesy Mediterranean Lentil mixture makes a great topping for pizza too, and a yummy filling for lettuce wraps.|
Recipe makes enough for two phyllo rolls (a very generous eight servings) or one phyllo roll and leftover filling for a tasty Mediterranean lettuce wraps.
Mediterranean Lentil Wraps in Crispy Phyllo DoughCourse: Lentils, Vegetarian
½ cup dry French lentils
1 Tbsp. olive oil
1 Tbsp. butter
1 onion, diced
2 cloves of garlic, minced
1 lb. mushrooms, sliced
2 tsp. dried oregano
1 tsp. dried thyme
1 tsp. paprika
½ tsp. smoked paprika (optional)
½ cup minced parsley
2 cups cooked rice, bulgur or quinoa
½ cup diced roasted red pepper
1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
½ cup freshly grated parmesan
1/4 cup pine nuts, toasted
2 Tbsp. capers, rinsed and minced (optional)
Sea salt and pepper, to taste
16 sheets of filo dough (8 per roll)
Olive oil for brushing
- Place the lentils in a saucepan with 1 ½ cups of cold water. Bring to the boil, reduce heat and simmer until tender. Drain.
- In a large sauté pan over medium heat melt the butter in the oil. Add onions and sauté until soft. Add the garlic and sauté for 30 seconds then add the mushrooms.
- Cook mushrooms until liquid is almost evaporated. Stir in the herbs and spices.
- Scrape into a large bowl and add the cooked lentils, cooked rice, red pepper, feta, parmesan, pine nuts and capers (if using). Season with a few grinds of black pepper and sea salt to taste.
- To assemble the phyllo roll:
- Lay two sheets of phyllo dough on the counter (horizontal). Brush with olive oil. Lay two more sheets, this time vertical. Brush with olive oil. Repeat with two more horizontal sheets and two more vertical sheets, brushing with olive oil after each.
- Mound half of mixture in a horizontal line, leaving about two inches on each end. Fold ends inward over filling, then fold the top and bottom (vertical sheets) over the filling.
- Move to a parchment lined baking sheet, seam side down.
- Repeat with remaining filling and phyllo.
- Brush with olive oil and sprinkle with paprika.
- Bake at 375 F for about 30 minutes. Cover with foil for the final 10 minutes if it’s getting too dark.
- When cooked, remove from oven and let sit for five minutes before cutting on the diagonal into large slices.
- Serve with roasted zucchini and cauliflower puree.