Salad can be a substantial supper when you fill it with hearty protein and extra vegetables.
This can be a fridge-cleaning kind of salad.
As much as I love to cook, I always find spring a confusing time in the kitchen. When the weather starts to turn I no longer crave the hearty soups and stews that I cook all winter, but I have a hard time remembering what my go-to spring recipes have always been. It’s a transition that trips me up every year.
This salad is even better when tossed with a homemade creamy feta salad dressing.
Main Dish Rainbow Salad Recipe
- Lettuce for two, chopped
- 1 cup diced and/or grated vegetables
- 1 cup protein (combination of 1-2 kinds)
- ¼ cup nuts and/or seeds and/or dried fruit
- ¼ cup grated or crumbled cheese
- Combine ingredients in a large bowl and toss with dressing.
- Vegetable ideas: Grated carrots, grated raw beets, diced cucumber, diced bell pepper, fresh peas, shredded red cabbage.
- Protein ideas: Hard boiled eggs, tin of salmon, cooked chickpeas or lentils, cooked, shredded meat or fish
Creamy Feta Dressing Recipe
- 1 cup plain yogurt (Greek preferred)
- ¼ cup feta cheese
- Juice of ½ a lemon
- 1 Tbsp. olive oil
- 1 small clove garlic
- Salt & pepper to taste
- Fresh herbs (chives, oregano or basil)
Tip: Try this dressing as a dip for vegetables.