|Mediterranean trout with tomatoes and olives, a tasty meal in under 30 minutes|
We eat a lot of rainbow trout in our house. It’s fresh water farmed so is more eco-friendly than ocean-farmed trout and salmon. (It’s farmed in closed pens so no worries about farmed fish escaping to breed with wild fish and no antibiotics flowing out into the ocean. Although it does take more power to run a land-based fish farm, when compared to ocean pens.)
Rainbow trout is also less fatty than farmed salmon and very tasty. The bonus: it cooks fast.
I’m always looking for new ways to prepare it and today cooked it stovetop in made-in-the-USA Nordic Ware braiser (received when I signed up for the Food Bloggers of Canada conference). The braiser is made of cast aluminum so is good and sturdy and it distributes heat really well.
It’s also lined with a non-stick coating that is PFOA-free (PFOA is a chemical is linked to numerous health concerns and the US EPA considers it a likely carcinogen).
The braiser is huge so was perfect for my trout fillets.
I cooked the trout with the lid on to keep the fillets moist. But I could have popped this pan in the oven too.
Mediterranean trout with tomatoes and olives
This dish takes all of 30 minutes to make (a little less even)
- Two good-sized trout fillets (or enough for your family)
- 1 Tbsp olive oil
- 1 onion, sliced
- 2 cloves garlic, diced or pressed
- 1 1/2 cups chopped tomatoes
- 1/4 cup white wine
- 8-12 olives
- Small handful of cilantro or any fresh herb (or 1 tsp of dried oregano)
- sea salt & pepper
- 1 Tbsp butter
- Sauté the onion and garlic in the oil until soft.
- Add the tomatoes, wine and olives and cook until the mixture is bubbling.
- Push the mixture to the edges and lay the trout in the pan.
- Season with salt and pepper, sprinkle with the herbs, and cover.
- Check after 5 minutes and remove to a warm plate when done to your liking.
- Stir the butter into the tomato mixture.
- Serve the trout with the sauce spooned over.
If you love fish and seafood you might enjoy my Spicy Cajun shrimp with homemade Cajun seasoning (no MSG)